Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mumblings

I have a hard time hearing things at times. It's not that i'm hard of hearing so much as i have a hard time understanding what i'm hearing. When people don't enunciate well i have a hard time understanding what they say. While this can be really annoying sometimes, it also makes for some interesting mix-ups. Here are some examples of how this works.

What i hear:
"I need to get somethin' pudin' mouth"
What was supposedly said:
"I need to get something to put in my mouth"

What i hear:
"I'm embossing my bottom teeth"
What was supposedly said:
"I'm flossing my bottom teeth"

I say "supposedly" because i know that sometimes other people actually are mumbling and do say strange things when they do.
More to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good, I'm not the only one. Jay, I hear how frustrating it is to not be able to understand others. Take the time to understand. Ask them to repeat themselves and emphasize you want to hear what that individual may be saying. This may cause some frustration but in the long run hearing and understanding are an important part of relationship development the #1 area a counselor needs to have.

I am investigating this same problem medically because sometimes I can't hear people when they turn their head away from me and at times I can't hear or understand when people are not looking straight at me.

Christie