Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Time & Priorities

There's quite a bit on my mind, as usual, but i'm having a hard time accessing it, as usual again. Do you ever have that problem? It's all there, ready to get to, ready to access, and yet you just can't reach it. I feel like a hard drive with a bad sector. The information is there, but i just can't get to it. Fun, ain't it!

One of the things i have been thinking about lately is how we live our lives in our time and priorities. It's easy to get going in life, get into the groove of things, and get upset that we don't have time to do one thing or another. Whether it be posting in our blog, reading a book that we started but haven't finished, getting work done, taking care of things around the house, or any number of a hundred other things that we would like to do but don't quite get around to. We only have a certain amount of time to get everything done. Yet every person has the same amount of time in a day, the same number of days in a week, and the same weeks in a year.

What separates the average Joe apart from the C.S.Lewis's, George Bush's, and Billy Graham's is (among many other things) how they spend their time. A great writer spends their time learning about and processing the subject that they want to write about, and writing. Oftentimes this comes at the expense of other things such as family, friends, and entertainment. Anyone can write a book. Anyone can become a politician. Anyone can become a preacher. Anyone can do any of these things if they are willing to take the time.

But how many great people have given up on becoming a great social figure in order to become a great person in their home? How many possibly great world leaders have given that up to instead be great parents and spouses, serving in their homes? And how many great parents and spouses have given that up to be great television watchers, videogamers, internet junkies, and gossipers? It's all about time & priorities...

...Just something to think about.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I do it according to categories/colors. I use Franklin Covey's planner and use colored markers for different categories. Then I try to do something each day with each color. For example, something for me,writing in my blog is in a dark purple (purple is my favorite color), and prayer, something for my spiritual life (in light blue), is done when I am working out which is also for me (in purple), update my resume on my employment web sites, which is for career (in metallic red). If I miss a color one day I make it a priority to do it within the next day or so. I have things to do on the weekends as well including taking time out with the dogs, and cleaning the house. I carry my planner to most places I go and I try to do the little things while I am waiting on an appointment (reading a book I may need for counseling-career or praying- spiritual) I do a lot of this kind of stuff during the week and on the weekend I may get to watch a little tv. TV is my least priority because it does not fulfill any of my priorities. I no longer watch any specific shows just watch a half an hour before going to bed-whatever Robert is watching is fine. Another thing I have learned is to say "NO" when I can and when it seems to be something that is not a priority for me at this time. This takes discipline and routine but I feel better having made time to take care of my physical health-working out, taking time for my self-as well as my spiritual life-precepts and prayer-which are essentially connected. "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body" 2 Corinthians 6:19-20 RSV. I hope this has been helpful to you. As I have written to you I have done something for my family (metallic pink), home-watering the lawn (metallic pink), and for myself (purple). All in about 15 minutes.

Christie said...

I would say you lived the simple life until just three years ago. No job, go to school, building up debt. Comparing is not healthy. We make our own choices in life. We all have to live with our choices. Besides in no time your girls will be grown up and you will be missing them. This time in your life only occurs for a short time. Enjoy it now when you are not old, sick, and/or weak. It could be worse-eating out of a dumpster. Already done that.

By the way, the pope isn't dead. It was an archbishop in Fort Worth, TX. Sorry.