Sunday, March 04, 2007

What do Our Actions Say About Us?, or Out of the Mouth of Babes

On more of a personal side note, i had an interesting incident with my younger daughter on my way to work yesterday. I currently have 2 jobs. My (temporary) primary job is with the phone company, and my second one is currently only on Saturdays with a video game store. When i go to work at the phone company i always bring my Bible. I have an hour long lunch break and rather than waste 45 minutes i figure i may as well be productive. I don't do that at my video game store job because breaks are not regular and not long enough for me to be productive.

So yesterday as i was heading out the door to my second job my younger daughter, who is almost 2, cries out, "Da dy wait! Da dy wait!" I figured she was wanting to give me another hug goodbye so i told her, "You already gave me a hug. I have to go." So here she comes around the corner out of the great room, with tears just about to burst forth, trying very, very hard to lug my Bible to me. She did not want me to go to work and forget it. So i told her, "It's all right i'm not bringing it to this work today". With that her frown got even lower and the tears started to form. So after a second of contemplation and decision i scooped her and my Bible up, said "Thank you very much", and gave her another big hug. With that she got down, said "You're wel come da dy", and ran off to play with sister.

It's amazing what kind of impressions our littlest habits can have on our family and children. When daddy going to work without his Bible is reason for great concern and angst. We know we must be doing something right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a 2.5-year-old granddaughter (whom I rarely get to see, which saddens my heart). This greatly enJOYed my heart, so thank you very much! Your little daughter can be, as you probably know but may occasionally forget (due to the stress of "making a living") one of your greatest teachers. And as you've probably heard, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Your 'Masterpiece in Progress' blog entries shout out that you are CLEARLY ready for a VERY wise teacher! (Have you seen the movie 'Peaceful Warrior' yet?)

Blessings!
Biz Burnett
Fort Myers, FL
www.helloWorld.com/BizB815
BizB815@helloworld.com

P.S. I'm happy that you have this daughter, but sad to know you're "already taken," because as I was reading your posts, I was thinking how you'd be perfect for my 25-year-old niece! Got any single guy friends who are just like you? :-D