Saturday, February 23, 2008

What do Young People Need?

Our youth and young adults need more than just to be treated as bigger children. They need to be challenged. They need to learn. They need to understand 1) who they are, 2) that they have a purpose & direction, and 3) what that direction and those purposes are. They need to have something to show for their results, something they can hold in their hands. They need something that they can put their name on, grasp ahold of, and make (of) themselves. They need to succeed, and they need to fail. Young men need a question to ask that will consume them, whose answer is so unattainable that they can spend their lives seeking that answer and never reach it. Young women need a love that they reach for that is so much bigger than them, that they reach for it and can never become it.

God has created our young men and young women to be so much more than they are, and to go so much further than where they are being led.

Image from dhammza used under cc license.

3 comments:

Ambient Designs & Photography said...

I really enjoyed your post. I have been kicking around the idea of writing a book to this generation, both church and unchurched, to address some things that I have been stirring in my heart. I read two great books about revival and young people and how to set America ablaze with a new hunger and fervant fire for God. One is called "It's Time" by Richard Crisco- Pensecola Revival Youth Pastor and the other is called "America Ablaze." If theses are topics you really have in your heart I hope you can check them out on Amazon and maybe read them. My bf and I are going to be moving to Tulsa to become Pastors as soon as I finish up my Bachelor's Degree and from there who know's where God will lead us to. I really enjoyed reading all your entries and I don't know if its possible but I would love to keep in touch with you, and maybe pick your brain a bit for this book I have on my heart if you are open to it. My email is wrldchanger@yahoo.com

Blessings,
Jen

Brandon Baker said...

Dear Pastor John,
i stumbled upon this blog post after googleing the question proposed as your post title. I know nothing about you, but in being a fellow brother i figure i can trust you and share my thoughts. AS a recent college grad and a very active member of a fastly growing campus ministry, i have asked myself this very question time and time again over the last few years and my reoccuring answer is simply... loneliness. How to go about solving this and reaching the "lonely, forgotten, lost and left behind" is huge in my heart and I keep thinking upon how to do this not just in my immediate area but also in the country and world, specifically with people under 30. That being said, please check out my blog, which has some pretty random ideas yet i hope this blog will eventually lead myself and others to some type of outreach that could meet one of the generations need- Grace and Love be with you, always
http://www.adaringheart.blogspot.com/

JCMasterpiece said...

Brandon,
So the answer to the question of "What do young people need?" is... loneliness?