Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mike's Thoughts on Prayer

Mike Camiolo made this comment on my last post and i thought that it deserved it's own post, so here it goes.

Quick piece (of) food for thought. I went to New Year Services last night and I was reading the book. I hadn't noticed before, but the prayers are basically just asking God to do this for me; or God help this go well; or God I love you, your awsome. I hadn't realized how little personal empowerment there was. I would have much rather been reading prayers saying "God, help me keep myself safe" or "God, when I strive to reach my goals, help protect me from failure." It seems like we're tiny little Mites around God's feat, and if we want to be like him, then we should start asking him how he got that way and stop worrying about asking God to protect us from other Mites.

1 comment:

JCMasterpiece said...

Well, there you go. You aren't limited to the prayers that the priests recite or that are in the prayer book. Prayer is about speaking to God. It's about us wanting to be closer to Him, and Him wanting us to be closer to Him.

I love the relationship that Tevya has with God in the musical The Fiddler on the Roof. He seriously asks God serious questions and expects answers (of sorts). That's what prayer is. It is speaking to and building that connection to God. He does not desire rambling for the sake of speaking and repetition. He seek relationship with His people.

Matthew 15:8 says;
This people draws near to Me with their mouth, and honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far from Me.

Isaiah 29:13-14 says;
And Jehovah said, Because this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips honor Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the command of men;
therefore, behold, I will go on doing among this people, a wonder, even a wonder. For the wisdom of their wise ones shall perish, and the understanding of their intelligent ones shall be hidden.